Tuesday 17 April 2012

Call me a cynic..


“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it” ~ George Bernard Shaw

Well GBS, maybe I ain’t brave enough to call out accurate observations just yet but under the disguise of cynicism I will say that Carve magazines’ timing of the publication of the winner of the ‘Readers Writing Competition’, 48hrs after 11 time world champ Kelly Slater Re-tweeted a link to the previous blog post, seems remarkably serendipitous.


They did post an apology, a mish mash of the right hand not knowing … etc. and the hecticness of surf mag publishing, and they’ve reiterated that they do want more work from me, for pay! 

What this whole exercise really emphasises though is the power of social media.  My, until now, neglected blog previous to this weekend had had one minor moment of notoriety when it garnered a couple of re-tweets for a rant about Nick Carroll’s ‘power rankings’. (See below).  It got roughly 150 views over about 3 days. Kelly’s re-tweet got me 600 in 2hrs.  To date 1,390. For this I am grateful. Would Carve have stepped up to the mark as quickly (at all) without this endorsement? Who knows  There's no doubt that Carve are well away of the powers Kelly commands though...  Bow Down
 
    
More soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment